Folks, I had the chance of a lifetime and I blew it. Maybe I’m becoming “wishy washy” or maybe I am a “compromiser” or even a “traitor” as two of my critics have recently labeled me to be? Is it possible I’ve grown too soft to “expose the unfruitful works of darkness” when, being offered one of the BIGGEST softballs in my life, I was prevented from “hitting it out of the park”?
Gee, can’t wait to see how my critics spin this…….
Yesterday I accidentally discovered someone I’ve been highly critical of in the past had committed a big “no no”. Yep, this guy broke on of the biggies my friends and I’ll tell you this; I was gonna hammer that nail Phil Naessens style. You know how I can be by now right?
This morning while eating breakfast, and plotting how I was gonna hit this softball out of the park and “expose” this dude’s ministry, the following verse popped into my head.
Gal 6:1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.
Then immediately after this one popped up;
1Th 4:9 Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other.
Dang. That wasn’t very nice. Suddenly my “smash mouth apologetic” dinger of an article wasn’t sounding so good.
My “presupposition” of this man, based on a LOT of experiences with him, WANTED to see this as a premeditated evil act and the flesh in me desired to throw him under the bus. While I may be technically correct in this case, the spirit, or in this case the Holy Spirit, showed me a more excellent way of handling this situation.
Even though the guy broke one of the biggies, was I sure he did this intentionally? Absolutely not and in fact I’m 98% (The other 2% is still my flesh talking) certain this transgression was unintentional which is probably why the Holy Spirit popped those verses in my head while I was shoveling food in my mouth.
I was moments away from decimating this man’s ministry over what possibly was an innocent mistake. That certainly wouldn’t be very loving now would it? I now had to change my plans and write something completely different, attempting to gently correct him, and that’s exactly what I did. Well, actually I wrote to another guy I’ve been critical of and I’m sure he’ll handle this properly. We’ll see how this turns out and I’m giving him plenty of time to correct his mistake because I think he has a LOT of correcting to do.
As I type this I’m thinking what a great God we serve. In this instance what my flesh meant for evil, God decided to turn it around for good. I learned how much power the Holy Spirit has over the flesh and He helped me to crucify my flesh and wait until a righteous judgment could take place. Who knows, maybe this will serve as a way for us to reconcile our past “difficulties”. That’s what I want and I believe that’s what Jesus would want as well.
I can honestly say this is the first time something like this has ever happened, meaning my being basically stopped from writing an article exposing some shenanigans. Where the Spirit LEADS me into writing the articles on this site, this time He prevented me from doing so and taught me about brotherly love, restoration, righteous judgment and most importantly that the Spirit of God is far more powerful then the flesh if we only submit to Him.
While writing this particular piece this Scripture came to mind;
Pro 18:17 The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him.
On the flip side to all of this is I could have decimated my own online ministry. All the guy in question would have to say is “I didn’t know what I was doing” and then followed by “see, he’s always picking on me” casting doubt upon me and my work here at Theology Today. I’ve seen enough people recently who’ve jumped the gun too fast and made accusations against others only to look awful foolish and ruining whatever good they may or may not have done in the past. I certainly don’t want that to happen and neither do you my brethren.
Walk in the Spirit my brethren. He is more powerful then the flesh and will keep you from stumbling as long as you/me submit to Him!
Gee, can’t wait to see how my critics spin this……….