From time to time we get people that visit this site who claim to be members of the clergy, but we’ve never had anyone claiming to be an “Apostle”. Well, that all changed the other day as I was criticized by a man claiming the title of “Apostle”. I like this because it gives us all an opportunity to examine the Scriptures to see if the office of Apostle still exists today or is this just another baseless self appointed title that men and even some women give themselves in order to gain some form of credibility within the Body of Christ.
The word apostle means “sent one”. Some can make a case that missionaries can claim to be “apostles” as they are sent from their churches to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the four corners of the earth. This posting has nothing to do with those folks. This posting is meant to determine if the office and title of an Apostle is valid today.
The Bible is fairly clear on the qualifications for anyone claiming to be an Apostle. The qualifications according to Scripture are as follows;
· An Apostle should have seen the Lord, and been able to testify of Him and of His resurrection from personal knowledge (John 15:27; Acts 1:21, Acts 1:22; 1Corinthians 9:1; Acts 22:14, Acts 22:15).
· An Apostle must have been immediately called to that office by Christ (Luke 6:13; Galatians 1:1).
· An Apostle should be infallibly inspired, and thus secured against all error and mistake in their public teaching, whether by word or by writing (John 14:26; John 16:13; 1Thessalonians 2:13.
· An Apostle had the power of working miracles (Mark 16:20; Acts 2:43; 1Corinthians 12:8-11).
Hmmm. Now that we know what the Bible says about who can call themselves an Apostle, I have the following questions to ask those of you that either believe that you are an Apostle or those who sit under the teachings of those who call themselves an Apostle. Here goes;
1.Did they see Jesus before He was crucified? How about after? According to the Scriptures, both the before and after had to have been witnessed.
2. Were you or those you sit under immediately called by Jesus? Again, the Scriptures are very specific.
3. Does the Apostle that you sit under ever make mistakes when preaching or teaching? How about their writings? Are the writings free of any error?
4. Can the person claiming to be an “Apostle” work miracles?
If you answered no to any of these questions then you can’t claim the title of Apostle. According to Biblical qualifications, the office and title of Apostle has ceased with the death of the Apostle John.
Are there “sent ones”? Of course there are. There will always be sent ones until the day when Christ returns for His Bride. They just can’t claim the office and title of Apostle. That title and office were for a select few and not for just anyone the way it seems to be claimed ad nauseum within the Body of Christ today.
Please see the following links for the man who claims to be an “Apostle” and his comments and judge for yourselves if he is a true “Apostle”.